The Utah Mock Trial competition was established in 1980 to teach students their rights and responsibilities as citizens. Each year, volunteer attorneys write or adapt a legal case involving issues of interest to youth. A handbook containing established facts, signed affidavits, and other legal information regarding the case, along with the rules and information related to the tournament, is provided for all participants. Team members play roles of witnesses, attorneys, clerks, and bailiffs in courtrooms throughout the state.
The Mock Trial Competition is open to all public and private secondary schools in Utah. Each year, more than 1,000 students, 80 teachers, 350 attorneys, and 100 community representatives participate in over 110 mock trials statewide. The high school championship team participates in the national mock trial competition.
The 2020 Utah Mock Trial Season
The 2019 Utah Mock Trial Season
In March 2019, the high school and junior high school championship rounds were held in the Court of Appeals courtroom in the Scott M. Matheson Courthouse. West High School (below) was the championship team in the high school division, with Inegritas placing second. West High School was unable to compete at Mock Trial Nationals in Athens, Georgia, because nationals were at the same time as their International Baccalaureate exams. Integritas (below) represented Utah at nationals and placed 7th. Congratulataions to the Integritas team!
West High School Mock Trial Championship Team
Integritas High School Mock Trial Team
In the junior high school division, Integritas, junior division, was the championship team with Central Davis Junior High placing second. Both championship teams were honored at the Law Day Luncheon on May 1.
Elementary Mock Trials
- State of Utah v. Jack Beanstalk
- B. B. Wolf v. Curley Pig
- State v. Gold E. Locks
- Winter Village v. Simple Simon and the Pieman
- Rumplestiltskin v. the Queen
- State of Utah v. Elementary School Counterfeit Ring
Cases Available for Download
- 2004 Mock Trial Case: State of Utah v. Beck Martin
- 2005 Mock Trial Case: Leslie Parker v. Red Rock County School Board
- 2006 Mock Trial Case: State of Utah v. Riley Amblin
- 2007 Mock Trial Case: Evan Nelson v. Chris Miller and Red Rock County School District
- 2008 Mock Trial Case: State of Utah v. Linn Pauling
- 2009 Mock Trial Case: State of Utah v. Casey Campbell
- 2010 Mock Trial Case: Sydney Young v. Riley Gardner
- 2011 Mock Trial Case: State of Utah v. Chris Robertson
- 2012 Mock Trial Case, Malcolm v. Utopia Zoo
- 2013 Mock Trial Case, State of Utah v. J. P. Long
- 2014 Mock Trial Case, Mia Larsen v. Shane Perez, Jordan Smith, and Strikers Soccer Club, Inc.
- 2015 Mock Trial Case, Parker Smith v. Pioneer Computer, Inc. & Pine Crest Tech Services, Inc. with Exhibits
- 2016 Mock Trial Case, State of Utah v. Avery Zabriskie